Translate

Sunday 23 October 2016

MOURINHO VOWS HE'LL NEVER SELL WAYNE ROONEY

Manchester United new boss, Jose Mourinho has reiterated his decision to keep Wayne Rooney in Manchester as long as the player wants.

Speaking with Sky Sports ahead of their clash with Chelsea later in the day, Mourinho believes Rooney have gotten to that legendary stature with the club and needs to be treated with like a club legend.

"I will never make that decision. A player of his stature, a player of his history in the club will never go to point where club or manager want to make that decision for him.

"I put him [Rooney] on the bench for three matches in a row. That is hard for him, hard for me, so that is being ruthless, to put in my mind the interests of the team in front of the player, prestige, status. In this case even legend. To put on bench a player with the numbers he has for club and country is hard.

"But as we were saying before, this is an industry where the people who leads, sometimes in a correct decision, sometimes not correct decisions, but in our mind the decisions we think is the best for the team."

Mourinho believed Rooney's dip in form was caused by too many change in role that made the player to forget his position as a player.

"I think it then created a bit of a doubt in relation to his role, to his position, to his future and I think players especially in moments of less confidence, they need to be clear in his head.

"He cannot be jumping from No 6 to No 9, or No 9 to No 10, or No 9 to No 6. For me, he is an attacking player. What is an attacking player for me? For him, a 9 or 10.
"Play No 6, play in midfield, not with me unless we need it and unless we ask him to do that, but with me, I want the ideas completely clear. He is a second striker, plays behind the striker or as a striker. That's what I think is Wayne Rooney."
Mourinho told Sky Sports

Wayne Rooney has started his last three games from the bench with many football pundits and fans claiming the player is in a declining state.

No comments:

Post a Comment